Radon is a radioactive gas. It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. You can also have radon gas enter your home from well water, where it is released into the home when you run the tap or take a shower. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. You cannot see, smell, or taste radon. But it still may be a problem in your home. According to the EPA, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. The EPA recommends if you are buying or selling your home, have it tested for radon.
Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements. Each building is unique, and the ground beneath it is also unique. Two houses side-by-side can have totally different radon levels. The only way to know what the radon levels are inside your home is to measure them.
Testing is the only way to know your homes radon levels. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of radon. It typically takes years of exposure before any problems surface and then it is too late.
Rick’s Home Inspections will carefully inspects all your home’s components. They provide full-service home and commercial inspections and deliver a comprehensive, concise final inspection report.